Freitag, 16. Mai 2014

Kevin Johnson


Throwing stones at the embassy,
policeman come and arrested me,
Paper at the university,
said I was a hero,
And the wise old judge that I went before,
wouldn't believe what I did it for,
Said this is no way to stop the war,
But, how the hell would he know?

Wenn Sie Over the Hills and Far Away (nein, nicht den ➱Song aus dem 18. Jahrhundert, der in ➱John Gays Beggar's Opera vorkommt) noch kennen, dann wissen Sie natürlich, dass das Lied von ➱Kevin Johnson ist. Der Australier hatte ja mal eine kurze Phase, in der er weltberühmt war. So wie Crocodile Dundee. Aber ebenso wie von jenem Aussie hört man von seinem Landsmann Kevin Johnson auch nichts mehr. Ich komme auf Kevin Johnson, weil ich beim Suchen nach einer CD (die natürlich nicht an ihrem Platz war) plötzlich auf eine Vielzahl von Kevin Johnson CDs stieß. Einschließlich zahlreicher Raubkopien (Danke, Melanie!). Musste ich natürlich sofort in den Player mit den vier Burr Brown 20 Bit-Wandler pro Kanal legen und abspielen.

Oh, I can still remember when I bought my first guitar
Remember walking from the shop to put it proudly in my car
And my family listened fifty times to my two song repertoire
I told my Mom her only son was gonna be a star.

Bought all the Beatle records, sounded just like Paul
Bought all the old Chuck Berry's, 78's and all

And I sat by my record player playing every note they played
I watched them all on TV, making every move they made.

Rock and roll, I gave you all the best years of my life
All the dreamy sunny Sundays, all the moon-lit summer nights
I was so busy in the back room writin' love songs to you
While you were changin' your direction and you never even knew
That I was always, just one step behind you.

Es steckt viel persönliche Frustration in dem ➱Song. Jahrelang hatte er Songs für andere geschrieben, niemand wollte seine Songs hören. Bis Rock'n'Roll I gave you all the best years of my life kam und alles änderte: It was a quick song for me because I've spent months on one line. It just came to me one day as I was driving home, feeling all this frustration of two years without making a record. So I decided to write a song not about giving someone the best years of my life, but to write about the pursuit of success, which I thought related to a lot of people around the world, not just in music but anything. Es gibt eine Vielzahl von Cover Versionen von dem Song, sogar Gary Glitter (der ➱hier einen Post hat) hat es gesungen.

Es gibt aber noch eine zweite Version, die hier in Deutschland nicht so bekannt geworden ist. In Australien kennt sie wohl jeder. Weil sie seit 1996 der offizielle Song der Hunderjahrfeier der Australian Football League ist. Klicken Sie ➱hier einmal in das Video der AFL hinein. Ist natürlich nicht ➱Cricket, hat aber auch seine Liebhaber.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen