Dienstag, 30. September 2014

Truman Capote


Da ist er, der junge Dichter und Erzähler. Sorgfältig inszeniert von Henri Cartier Bresson. Truman Capote wäre heute neunzig geworden, aber er ist schon seit dreißig Jahren tot. Im Vorwort zu Music for Chameleons schrieb er 1980:  My life – as an artist, at least – can be charted as precisely as a fever: the highs and lows, the very definite cycles. I started writing when I was eight – out of the blue, uninspired by an example. I’d never known anyone who wrote; indeed I knew few people who read. But the fact was, the only four things that interested me were: reading books, going to the movies, tap dancing, and drawing pictures. Then one day I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble and merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation.

Er galt einmal als die große Hoffnung der amerikanischen Literatur, man verglich ihn mit ➱William Faulkner. Woran erinnert man sich heute? Nicht für das, wo er einmal wirklich gut war, wie Miriam,  Other Voices, Other Rooms oder A Christmas Memory. Nein, wir erinnern uns an Holly Golightly und Breakfast at Tiffany's. Als ich jung war, fand ich Capote toll, das hat schnell nachgelassen. Aber den Film mit Audrey Hepburn, den mag ich noch immer. Lesen Sie ➱hier mehr dazu.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen